Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The Spirit of God Wrought Upon the Gentiles

1 Nephi 13:10 - 12, 14 - 20, NC 1 Nephi 3 par. 20 


And it came to pass that I looked and beheld many waters, and they divided the gentiles from the seed of my brethren. And it came to pass that the angel said unto me, Behold, the wrath of God is upon the seed of thy brethren. And I looked and beheld a man among the gentiles, who was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I beheld the spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man, and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brethren who were in the promised land. And it came to pass that I beheld the spirit of God, that it wrought upon other gentiles, and they went forth out of captivity upon the many waters. And it came to pass that I beheld many multitudes of the gentiles upon the land of promise; and I beheld the wrath of God, that it was upon the seed of my brethren; and they were scattered before the gentiles and were smitten. And I beheld the spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the gentiles, that they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance. And I beheld that they were white, and exceeding fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain. And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld that the gentiles who had gone forth out of captivity did humble themselves before the Lord, and the power of the Lord was with them. And I beheld that their mother gentiles were gathered together upon the waters, and upon the land also, to battle against them. And I beheld that the power of God was with them, and also that the wrath of God was upon all those that were gathered together against them to battle. And I, Nephi, beheld that the gentiles that had gone out of captivity were delivered by the power of God out of the hands of all other nations. And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld that they did prosper in the land.


The Stick of Joseph in the Hand of Ephraim 1 Nefi 3 par. 20


And it came to pass that I looked and beheld many waters, and they divided the Goyim from the seed of my brothers. And it came to pass that the angel said unto me, Behold, the wrath of Elohim is upon the seed of your brothers. And I looked and beheld a man among the Goyim, who was separated from the seed of my brothers by the many waters; and I beheld the Ruach Elohim, that it came down and worked upon the man, and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brothers who were in the promised land. And it came to pass that I beheld the Ruach Elohim, that it worked upon other Goyim, and they went forth out of captivity upon the many waters. And it came to pass that I beheld many multitudes of the Goyim upon the land of promise; and I beheld the wrath of Elohim, that it was upon the seed of my brothers; and they were scattered before the Goyim and were smitten. And I beheld the spirit of yhwh, that it was upon the Goyim, that they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance. And I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain. And it came to pass that I, Nefi, beheld that the Goyim who had gone forth out of captivity did humble themselves before yhwh, and the power of yhwh was with them. And I beheld that their mother Goyim were gathered together upon the waters, and upon the land also, to battle against them. And I beheld that the power of Elohim was with them, and also that the wrath of Elohim was upon all those that were gathered together against them to battle. And I, Nefi, beheld that the Goyim that had gone out of captivity were delivered by the power of Elohim out of the hands of all other nations. And it came to pass that I, Nefi, beheld that they did prosper in the land. 


I, for the first time in my life, that I know of, can testify that I know that the Book of Mormon is scripture and that it comes from God.  I am now sure of this.  I know this because of what is contained in it.  I am no longer in need of any external, historical, or other type of proof to settle my heart on the matter.  The Book of Mormon is a gift of God.  It came forth by His power and it contains the fulness of the gospel of Christ.  As weak as it is, this is my witness.

One thing I hope to again reiterate is that anything that I share in this blog is something that resonates with me at this moment in time.  These things constitute my own present personal understanding of doctrine, teachings, principles, and tenets contained in the Book of Mormon and other sources I consider to be scripture.

I am mostly blind and so I consider that anything I share is most likely going to be something that may be right but is woefully incomplete at best or more likely something that is in error.  I hope that anyone who reads anything in this blog will have charity on me for my errors and will search and find out what is true and right because they have been egged on, so to speak, by reading my erroneous statements and have become uncomfortable with said statements.

I also invite anyone to share their insights and corrections via comments.  I am not afraid of being wrong and I am excited to hear the points of view of others.  I can only see good in exchanging dialogue and points of view concerning what is in the Book of Mormon. 

One thing folks will notice is that I have recently begun to use a plural pronoun when I refer to God that is because of the following.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (Genesis 1:27, OC Genesis 2 par.8)

The above scripture confirms that the image of God is a male and female, a husband and a wife.

God is clearly pointing this out to us at the very beginning of the account concerning the creation of the earth.

They two are one and man was created to reflect this.

I do not pray to a mother in heaven.  The scriptures command us to pray to the Father in the name of the Son.  However, I do feel that it is very appropriate to point out that the image of God is a husband and wife together working as one so I use plural pronouns when referring to God.

As we look at this verse is it possible again to see that the Nephites who survived the final wars with the Lamanites lost their Nephite status or in other words their covenant status?

And now there are many records kept of the proceedings of this people, by many of this people, which are particular and very large concerning them; but behold, a hundredth part of the proceedings of this people — yea, the account of the Lamanites and of the Nephites, and their wars, and contentions, and dissensions, and their preaching, and their prophecies, and their shipping, and their building of ships, and their building of temples and of synagogues, and their sanctuaries, and their righteousness, and their wickedness, and their murders, and their robbings, and their plunderings, and all manner of abominations and whoredoms — cannot be contained in this work. But behold, there are many books and many records of every kind, and they have been kept chiefly by the Nephites. And they have been handed down from one generation to another by the Nephites, even until they have fallen into transgression and have been murdered, plundered, and hunted, and driven forth, and slain, and scattered upon the face of the earth, and mixed with the Lamanites until they are no more called the Nephites, becoming wicked, and wild, and ferocious, yea, even becoming Lamanites. (Helaman 3:13 - 16, NC Helaman 2 par. 4)

Nephi confirms the above statement by Mormon as he was abridging the account of Helaman because he, Nephi, refers to those on the American content as now the seed of his brothers and not his own even though some of his descendants by blood mixed with the Lamanites at the end.

Seeing things as they really are, Nephi again confirms to us that it is possible for a group of people who have at one time received a covenant from God to lose their status as covenant holders because of their transgressions.

Shouldn't we be alarmed that such a reality exists?

Shouldn't this make us look inward?

If we view that we are a part of a people who received a covenant from God at one point, wouldn't it be good for us to look at the traditions and present actions of that people to see if those traditions and actions actually reflect what is contained in the covenant that was originally given?

Did God give anything to any group of gentiles that reflects a covenant?

And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received, which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation. And this condemnation rests upon the children of Zion, even all, and they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon, and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say but to do according to that which I have written, that they may bring forth fruit meet for their Father’s kingdom. Otherwise, there remains a scourge and a judgment to be poured out upon the children of Zion, for shall the children of the kingdom pollute my holy land? Verily, verily I say unto you, nay. (D&C 84:54 - 59, T&C 82 par. 20)

If we look into the Book of Mormon and see what God actually requires of a covenant people do we see the teachings of the Book of Mormon reflected in the actions of the people who received the Book of Mormon or can we detect that these teachings have been and are presently being discarded?

What did the Father command the Lord to declare to the Nephites concerning the gentile church that would receive this new covenant, even the Book of Mormon?

But woe, saith the Father, unto the unbelieving of the gentiles, for — notwithstanding that they have come forth upon the face of this land, and have scattered my people who are of the house of Israel, and my people who are of the house of Israel have been cast out from among them and have been trodden under feet by them; and because of the mercies of the Father unto the gentiles, and also the judgments of the Father upon my people who are of the house of Israel — verily, verily I say unto you that after all this — and I have caused my people who are of the house of Israel to be smitten, and to be afflicted, and to be slain, and to be cast out from among them, and to become hated by them, and to become a hiss and a byword among them — and, thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the gentiles shall sin against my gospel, and shall reject the fullness of my gospel, and shall be lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations and above all the people of the whole earth, and shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations, and if they shall do all these things, and shall reject the fullness of my gospel, Behold, saith the Father, I will bring the fullness of my gospel from among them. And then will I remember my covenant which I have made unto my people, O house of Israel, and I will bring my gospel unto them. And I will shew unto thee, O house of Israel, that the gentiles shall not have power over you, but I will remember my covenant unto you, O house of Israel, and ye shall come unto the knowledge of the fullness of my gospel. But if the gentiles will repent and return unto me, saith the Father, behold, they shall be numbered among my people, O house of Israel. And I will not suffer my people who are of the house of Israel to go through among them and tread them down, saith the Father. But if they will not turn unto me and hearken unto my voice, I will suffer them — yea, I will suffer my people, O house of Israel — that they shall go through among them and shall tread them down and they shall be as salt that hath lost its savor, which is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out and to be trodden underfoot of my people, O house of Israel. (3 Nephi 16:8 - 15, NC 3 Nephi 7 par. 5)

Does it appear from the Lord's declaration that the gentile body who would receive the new covenant even the Book of Mormon would fall into transgression like the Nephites?

If the gentile body is full of all manner of lyings and deceits, and mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and all manner of abominations even as they are lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all the people of the whole earth declaring that they are "the true church" (which resembles the Zoramites by the way) does that qualify as falling into transgression?

The Lord used the word "when" not "if" when he referred to the gentile church falling into transgression what does that imply?

Would it be inappropriate to equate the Lord's statement that He would bring the fulness of His gospel from among the gentile church to the Lord removing a covenantal status from the gentile church?

What if there are some believing gentiles?

The Lord declared the following concerning some few believing gentiles.

But if they will repent, and hearken unto my words, and harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them, and they shall come in unto the covenant and be numbered among this the remnant of Jacob, unto whom I have given this land for their inheritance. And they shall assist my people, the remnant of Jacob, and also as many of the house of Israel as shall come, that they may build a city which shall be called the New Jerusalem. And then shall they assist my people, that they may be gathered in, who are scattered upon all the face of the land, in unto the New Jerusalem. And then shall the Powers of Heaven come down among them, and I also will be in the midst. And then shall the work of the Father commence at that day, even when this gospel shall be preached among the remnant of this people. Verily I say unto you, at that day shall the work of the Father commence among all the dispersed of my people, yea, even the tribes which have been lost, which the Father hath led away out of Jerusalem. Yea, the work shall commence among all the dispersed of my people, with the Father to prepare the way whereby they may come unto me, that they may call on the Father in my name. Yea, and then shall the work commence with the Father among all nations, in preparing the way whereby his people may be gathered home to the land of their inheritance. And they shall go out from all nations, and they shall not go out in haste nor go by flight, for I will go before them, saith the Father, and I will be their rearward. (3 Nephi 21:22 - 29, NC 3 Nephi 10 par. 1)

Does the Lord here mention a new covenantal status for believing gentiles who repent?

How would I as a gentile be able to receive the covenant the Lord speaks of here?

If anyone desires to know more of this opportunity to repent and come into the new covenant they are welcome to go to www.bornofwater.org.

The Lord has extended a new covenant to the gentiles, all who will repent and believe in Him, and baptism is the first step.

Following baptism the Lord has established the means for every baptized individual to receive and accept His new covenant if they so desire.

This is a glorious time.  The Lord in His mercy to continue His work of vindicating His promises to the ancient Fathers has opened a way for anyone who so desires to overcome the gentile failure of the past.

He has set His hand again the second time to recover Israel and He has invited believing gentiles to become part of the House of Israel in this work that He is doing.

Now, what constitutes the wrath of God?

This question comes because Nephi speaks of the wrath of God being upon the descendants of his brothers.

When the scriptural accounts speak of incurring God's wrath or of a person or people who are under God's wrath what does that entail; how is God's wrath manifest?

There are many instances in the scriptures that talk about the wrath of God.

If we look at one of these instances can we gain an understanding of what God's wrath is and how it is manifest?

The following is Alma speaking to Zeezrom.

Wherefore, he gave commandments unto men — they having first transgressed the first commandments as to things which were temporal and becoming as Gods, knowing good from evil, placing themselves in a state to act, or being placed in a state to act according to their wills and pleasures, whether to do evil or to do good — therefore, God gave unto them commandments, after having made known unto them the plan of redemption, that they should not do evil, the penalty thereof being a second death, which was an everlasting death as to things pertaining unto righteousness. For on such, the plan of redemption could have no power, for the works of justice could not be destroyed, according to the supreme goodness of God. But God did call on man in the name of his Son, this being the plan of redemption which was laid, saying, If ye will repent and harden not your hearts, then will I have mercy upon you, through mine only begotten Son. Therefore, whosoever repenteth and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on mercy, through mine only begotten Son, unto a remission of his sins, and these shall enter into my rest. And whosoever will harden his heart and will do iniquity, behold, I swear in my wrath that he shall not enter into my rest. And now, my brethren, behold, I say unto you that if ye will harden your hearts, ye shall not enter into the rest of the Lord. Therefore, your iniquity provoketh him, that he sendeth down his wrath upon you as in the first provocation — yea, according to his word in the last provocation, as well as in the first, to the everlasting destruction of your souls; therefore, according to his word unto the last death, as well as the first. (Alma 12:31 - 36, NC Alma 9 par. 8)

Here we see Alma teaching Zeezrom concerning what occurred in the Garden of Eden.

In the Garden of Eden were Adam and Eve in the rest of God or in other words in Their presence?

Once Adam and Eve had partaken of the fruit and began to know good from evil what happened to them?

Would this be considered the "first provocation"?

Could we reasonably state that God withdrew from them in the "first provocation"; they, Adam and Eve, were shut out from Their presence?

Is this what Alma was talking about when he referenced people's iniquity provoking God to send down wrath upon the people as in the first provocation?

Doesn't Alma teach here that a plan of redemption was put in place to overcome the "wrath" incurred by the "first provocation"?

What does Alma say?

God did call on man in the name of his Son, this being the plan of redemption which was laid, saying, If ye will repent and harden not your hearts, then will I have mercy upon you, through mine only begotten Son. Therefore, whosoever repenteth and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on mercy, through mine only begotten Son, unto a remission of his sins, and these shall enter into my rest.

If God's wrath is manifest by Their withdrawal then does the above teaching demonstrate how to remove God's wrath; to come back into Their rest or in other words Their presence or reverse Their withdrawal?

If God's wrath is manifest by Their withdrawal, are there differing levels of God's wrath?

Is Alma here speaking of a further withdrawal as he speaks of a "last death" a "second death" and an "everlasting death" as to things pertaining to righteousness?

Whenever we read in the Book of Mormon that God's spirit ceases to strive with a people or in other words God's spirit withdraws, what happens to that people?

When God's spirit withdraws from a people are they able to build or maintain a cohesive society or do they break apart?

What is the example from the Book of Mormon?

If God is withdrawing Their spirit who's spirit fills that space?

Is it possible for us to experience God's wrath and be totally unaware of it?

...nothing is a greater injury to the children of men than to be under the influence of a false spirit when they think they have the Spirit of God. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith pg. 205)

Who does the sweeping off of the people upon the Americas?

Isn't it the people themselves as they begin to get more and more angry at each other?

Does God's wrath upon a people then consist in the withdrawal of Their spirit?

If the descendants of Nephi's brothers were without the spirit of God among them wouldn't that explain their dark and loathsome and filthy state?

Would it be very important for us to consider God's wrath with respect to ourself?

As we look in this paragraph at the Lord bringing the gentiles to the Americas and scattering the descendants of Laman and Lemuel can we see the Lord's word to Lehi being fulfilled in very deed?

Wherefore, I, Lehi, have obtained a promise that inasmuch as those whom the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land; and they shall be kept from all other nations, that they may possess this land unto themselves. And if it so be that they shall keep his commandments, they shall be blessed upon the face of this land, and there shall be none to molest them nor to take away the land of their inheritance, and they shall dwell safely for ever. But behold, when the time cometh that they shall dwindle in unbelief, after they have received so great blessings from the hand of the Lord, having a knowledge of the creation of the earth and all men, knowing the great and marvelous works of the Lord from the creation of the world, having power given them to do all things by faith, having all the commandments from the beginning, and having been brought by his infinite goodness into this precious land of promise, behold, I say, if the day shall come that they will reject the Holy One of Israel, the true Messiah, their Redeemer and their God, behold, the judgments of him that is just shall rest upon them. Yea, he will bring other nations unto them, and he will give unto them power, and he will take away from them the lands of their possessions, and he will cause them to be scattered and smitten. Yea, as one generation passeth to another, there shall be bloodsheds and great visitations among them. (2 Nephi 1:9 - 12, NC 2 Nephi 1 par. 2)

If we see God bringing other nations here to displace and take away the inheritance of the descendants of Lehi because of their iniquity and Nephi clearly states that God allowed the gentiles to obtain this land for their inheritance, do we think for one moment that the above words of Lehi would not apply to us?

If God does not fulfill Their promise to disinherit the gentiles based upon their iniquity and bring other nations and peoples in to destroy them wouldn't God have to issue an apology to the native tribes who have been scattered and destroyed by the gentiles?

This paragraph describing this part of Nephi's vision clearly and plainly outlines that the gentiles on this land prevailed against their mother gentiles and against all other nations only because the power of God was among them.

Do we think we can violate the laws and commandments of God as a nation and Their power will remain among us?

Shouldn't this part of Nephi's vision and an understanding of God's promises concerning this land and an understanding of Their wrath cause us to quake and tremble and come down to the dust in humility as a nation to repent and work to turn away the wrath of God upon us?

God is not kidding around and we face great peril.

Are we like unto the Nephites where our day of repentance is past; not because God would not accept repentance but because in our wild frenzied blindness we refuse to turn and face God?

Seriously, how could this message not cause us pain concerning our condition as a nation?

Another question that arises with Nephi's account of futurity here is how are the gentiles able to have the spirit of God among them?

Doesn't this part of Nephi's vision predate the restoration?

All my life I was raised hearing the accounts of the early gentiles receiving dreams and visions, and experiencing heavenly visitations, and receiving revelations, and speaking with the gift of prophecy.

I believe these accounts to be true.  

My understanding of Nephi's words here, And I beheld the spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the gentiles, that they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance. and his words I, Nephi, beheld that they did prosper in the land to mean that Nephi saw these above mentioned gifts of the spirit manifest among the first gentiles.

We have looked at before the meaning of what it means to "prosper in the land".

My understanding is that is has everything to do with heaven associating with a people and heaven pouring down it's gifts upon a people.

So what does this do to what anyone may think concerning what is required for the spirit of God to work upon and among a people?

How can all of this exist before the beginning of the gospel restoration through the Prophet Joseph?

The Holy Ghost can and does speak to everyone, Baptists, Lutherans, and Catholics included. C.S. Lewis could not have written and comprehended what he wrote and understood, unless the light of the Holy Ghost shown upon his mind. He declares the light of eternal truths in his writings. This is one of the manifestations of the Holy Ghost, or Comforter. 
Therefore it is given to abide in you; the record of heaven; the Comforter; the peaceable things of immortal glory; the truth of all things; that which quickeneth all things, which maketh alive all things; that which knoweth all things, and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice and judgment. (Moses 6:61) 
This is in contrast to the power given by Christ to lay on hands for the Holy Ghost. For power to do that, Christ touched (and must touch) the man given that power. When Christ actually gave power to give the Holy Ghost, the Book of Mormon account stresses repeatedly that He touched them: There is a difference between a visit by the Holy Ghost and having its presence always to be with you. “A man may receive the Holy Ghost, and it may descend upon him and not tarry with him.” (D&C 130:23.) This difference accounts for the Holy Ghost being available to all, on the one hand, and the power to lay on hands to confer the gift given by those upon whom Christ has laid His hands, on the other hand.
Many people believe they have the Holy Ghost with them when their emotions are stirred, or they are thrilled by some appealing talk, comment, praise or flattery. However these incidents do not increase light and truth, comprehension or intelligence and are not the Holy Ghost. They are only emotional experiences. Emotional experiences can be replicated in a number of ways. Music, movies, television commercials, general conference talks, books, testimonies, prayers and any number of physical experiences can create tears, goosebumps, or other things that we have incorrectly associated with the Holy Ghost.
Very often the truth conveyed by the Holy Ghost is hard to hear, difficult to follow, and breaks your heart. Sometimes the truth is bitter. But bitter truth is better than pleasing lies and flattery. It is a profound misunderstanding of the “Holy Ghost” when a person concludes it can never convey a message that condemns, convicts or challenges you. Much of what the Holy Ghost will convey – light and truth – causes pain, provokes change and repentance because you are convicted of errors. 
Alma was tutored by the Holy Ghost and it convicted him of his sins. He described it as “my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.” (Alma 36:14.) “For three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.” (Id., v. 16.) He said I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins.” (Id., v. 17.) He repented because he received accurate information by the power of the Holy Ghost showing him exactly where he stood before God. This enabled him to repent and return to God. 
It is a mistake to conclude that only good feelings, reassurance and praise comes through the Holy Ghost. It is likewise a profound error to assume a message that challenges you, tells you bad news about your present mistakes, and warns you to change course is dark, evil or cannot be from God.
There is no organization controlling the Holy Ghost.
Missionaries quote Moroni 10:4, and admonish everyone to pray and ask God if the Book of Mormon is true. Investigators are promised that God will manifest the truth of it unto them “by the power of the Holy Ghost.” These are unbaptized, unwashed, and uninitiated investigators who are told they can hear the Holy Ghost speak truth to them. The Holy Ghost does, can, and will speak to anyone.
The claim an organization has a franchise over the Holy Ghost is hollow. The idea the Holy Ghost can be controlled is false. The fact LDS Mormons are acquainted with the Holy Ghost means very little. That acquaintance does not distinguish Latter-day Saints, and it does not separate others from the Holy Ghost and its ministrations, no matter who they are.
("Thoughts on Holy Ghost, Denver Snuffer, Denvesnuffer.com, 21 January 2015)

This brings up a very important question.

If the Holy Ghost can minister light to anyone what should be considered an "authorized" source for truth?

Can any institution claim that they are the only authorized source of truth?

Should we be careful to not cut ourselves off from truth by excluding a great variety of input from many nations and peoples and affiliations?

Does God speak and has God spoken to more than one group of people at a time by the power of the Holy Ghost?

And because that I have spoken one word, ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another, for my work is not yet finished, neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and for ever. Wherefore, because that ye have a bible, ye need not suppose that it contains all my words, neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written. For I command all men, both in the east, and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them. For out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written. For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it, and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it. And I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel which I have led away and they shall write it, and I shall also speak unto all the nations of the earth and they shall write it. And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews, and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel, and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews. And it shall come to pass that my people which are of the house of Israel shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions, and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word, and against my people who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed for ever. (2 Nephi  , NC 2 Nephi 12 par. 10)

The Prophet Joseph proclaimed, 

Truth is “Mormonism.” God is the author of it.(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith pg. 139)

If this is true then wherever we can find truth is it not the evidence of God working upon or among a person or people by the power of the Holy Ghost?

The following is an excerpt from a paper "Other Sheep Indeed" that sheds great light on this question.

Mormonism announced in its founding book of scripture that it is an incomplete, markedly unfinished religion searching for more truth to achieve its destiny. The completion is to be accomplished primarily by two means: restoring lost scripture and continuing revelation. 

But even the concept of “continuing revelation” has been institutionally curtailed. The only institutionally authorized source for revelation is a single leader. When he is not gifted with that capacity, the concept of “continuing revelation” is given lip service without any substantive proof. For example, minimal organizational adjustments in missionary ages are extolled as “revelation” rather than merely a policy change.  

When using the word “Mormonism” I intend to include every denomination or individual who accepts the Book of Mormon as part of their faith, and not any particular group or institution.  In the Press Conference held during General Conference Elder Jeffrey Holland called the policy change “inspired” and “revelatory.” He explained, “God is hastening His work.” 

Of all faiths, Mormonism has the greatest canonical incentive to search for and embrace truth known to others. The “keystone” of Mormonism is the Book of Mormon. That book alerts its readers that there are many others from vastly different places with vastly different scriptures who are nonetheless Christ’s sheep. Book of Mormon readers are expected to search for, welcome and learn from them. In contrast, institutional Mormonism of all stripes confine trustworthy new religious ideas to their authorized leaders. 

Early in the text we learn that our faith, like our scriptures, is unfinished, and to anticipate a flood of additional sacred texts to help remove our ignorance. The portion of the Book of Mormon translated by Joseph Smith is carefully censored, with its greater content withheld.  

2 Nephi 29:11-12 states: For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; …

Obviously the Gods of Mormonism view Their role as all-inclusive. The entire world and all mankind belong to Them.  Their global audience has received and recorded sacred words directly from the Gods’ “one” mouth.  We have no way to define the extent to which that has happened. Nor do we have any concept of the number of sacred records that exist somewhere among unknown others, nor any idea what truths they were given that we lack. 

Mormonism cannot, or at least should not, consider itself the exclusive possessor of THE sacred canon or that there is only one canon containing the Gods’ teachings. There are words from heaven spread throughout our world by the deliberate planting of the Gods. 

Continuing, for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written. These “books” hold terrible importance for Mormons because we are going to be judged by the Gods based on a comparison between our “works” and “that which is written.” With such a warning we Mormons ought to be humble about our claims to know more than other faiths. We should be modest in thinking we are especially graced by the Gods’ words and should be anxious to scour the globe to discover the sacred texts of other cultures.  In humility, we should invite them to share the truths they value most with us because we have shown that we will respect what they regard as sacred. 

To clarify this further the record continues, For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; … 

So far this describes a welcome Judeo-Christian boundary because the ancient Israelites are the backbone of the Gods’ dealings with mankind. The Lost Ten Tribes continued to compose scripture, and their records will in time be recovered.  It is the unity of purpose and understanding that makes the Gods “one”.  This passage continues by including yet others who are disconnected from any disclosed connection to Israel: and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it. Who? When? What was said? 

“All nations of the earth” is broad enough to raise the troubling possibility that the Gods have spoken to others in India, Japan and China - to the peoples of Persia, Africa, and Native peoples of the Americas, Hawaii, Polynesia, and Australia. The Jaredite prophet, identified as “the brother of Jared,” had some of the greatest revelation in all history. He lived many centuries before Abraham, and therefore before there were Israelites. We know Egypt was founded “seeking earnestly to imitate that order established by the first fathers in the first generation, in the days of the first patriarchal reign, even in the reign of Adam[.]” 

If we take the Book of Mormon seriously, the ecumenicalism of the Gods may have no recognizable or comprehensible limits. The Gods of Mormonism are far more pantheistic than Trinitarian. What a cruel embarrassment that proves to be for any sect that proselytizes primarily among other Christian denominations. Imagining Gods who speak to everyone is troubling enough, but for the Gods to expect Mormons to give high regard, even canonical credibility to the records of these truly “others” begins to buckle the knees and mangle the mantras of today’s Mormons. ("Other Sheep Indeed", Denver Snuffer, Sunstone Symposium 2017, pages 1 - 4)

I would recommend any reader to download a free PDF copy of this address from Denversnuffer.com in the downloads section.

Isn't the Book of Mormon challenging?

Everything put forward by Nephi in this one paragraph concerning his vision raises questions that have very serious present day implications and require us look inside ourselves.

I know for me personally it is a painful thing to measure myself against the perfection that the Book of Mormon presents in the principles it teaches.  But I know it is necessary for me to experience this pain or I will never awake from my deep sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment